9 Tips for Making Mom-Life Easier in Boerne
I think that in going through our normal, day-to-day routines we tend to make note of the little things that make life with kids so much easier. Luckily, Boerne is a pretty family-friendly place, with lots of opportunities to help you save your sanity, one drive-through at a time. Here are a few of my favorites:
1) “What’s this about Drive-Throughs”, you say? Holy cow, is there anything that a mom likes seeing more than a drive-through? Especially when you’ve got a sleeping baby or multiple kids in the car? Here are the ones I head to most often:
- Pharmacies: HEB, Walgreens, and River Road Pharmacy all offer drive-throughs for picking up meds. Added bonus: River Road Pharmacy will deliver too!
- Dry Cleaning: Carl’s Cleaners and Mitchell Cleaners both have drive-throughs. AND Carl's Cleaners and Toudanines Cleaners both offer free pick-up and delivery!
- Library: Got library books that need to be returned? There’s a drive-through for that at the Patrick Heath Public Library.
- Vehicle inspections at Express Lube: Yes! If you’re due for a safety inspection on your vehicle, Express Lube will do the job, let you pay, and give you the necessary paperwork all while you sit comfortably in the car with the kids.
- Coffee: Need your coffee fix or even lunch or a snack? Scooter’s Coffee can hook you up, while you continue to jam out to your favorite Pandora station and (try to) ignore the screaming kiddos in the back seat.
2) Speaking of the library, did you know that you can renew your library books online? I have (more than once) realized that a book was due back asap and there was no way I was going to make it in time. So, I just log into the PHPL website and renew it for another two weeks and return it the next time I’m in that neck of the woods. Awesome.
3) Getting Social-Are you new to the area or just looking for new ways to connect with other parents? Check these out:
4) Meals & Groceries-Sometimes just feeding the whole family can feel like such a chore! Any one of these amazing services can help with that:
- Grocery delivery or curbside pick-up from HEB
- Curbside pick-up from Walmart
- Dinner Elf is a meal delivery service that will send a fully trained and background-checked chef to shop for your groceries, cook for you, clean their mess, and leave! This is a lifesaver for busy moms and you can read all about my experience with it here.
- MyTown2Go is a delivery service that will bring orders from many of your favorite Boerne restaurants straight to your door.
- To Go Family Meals from Hungry Horse (yes, they do that!)
5) Staying Fit-This is one of the hardest things to do with kids when you’re a stay-at-home parent who doesn’t utilize a sitter on a regular basis. Here are a couple of places that can help:
- Boerne Family YMCA: If you purchase a family membership, childcare is included! They offer FREE 3-day passes (with childcare) so you can try it out before committing. Also, if you sign up on a referral from a current member, you save 20%!
- Fit4Mom Boerne: This is a group of moms and babies that meets at Boerne City Park Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 9:30. Your first class is FREE. You could also file this one under “Getting Social”, right?
6) Play Time-You can never have too many places to play!
7) Urgent Care-Who really wants to sit in a germy urgent care waiting room with a small child who just doesn't feel well? Or what parent can really get away for HOURS to sit in a waiting room and wait for forever to be seen themselves? Well, Promptu Immediate Care allows you to schedule your urgent care visit through their website! So.much.better.
8) Things to Do-Sometimes you want something to do that’s fun, but just a bit more interesting than a playground, right? Maybe try:
- Any one of these indoor activities for the kiddos.
- The Cibolo Nature Center: Tons of room to roam and things to explore here, but the CNC also offers weekly classes and summer camps for the kiddos.
- Mother’s Day Out/Preschool Programs: This is more of a permanent, “I need a little break each week” thing, but there are great programs located at the First United Methodist Church, St. Helena’s Early Enrichment Program, St. Mark Presbyterian Church, First Baptist Church, Journey School of Boerne, Hill Country Montessori, The Little Lighthouse Christian Learning Center, Mini Texans Christian Learning Center, and so many more!
- The Boerne Parks & Recreation Guidebook: This little gem is loaded with spring and summer activities that are coordinated by the Boerne Parks & Recreation Department (at discounted rates!). You can try STEM classes at the library, gymnastics at Boerne Gymnastics Center, dance classes at Boerne Dance Center, swim classes at the Boerne City Pool, the list goes on and on...If you didn’t receive yours in the mail, you can pick one up from Parks and Rec.
- Vacation Bible School: These usually happen right after school lets out for the summer and are offered by most of the churches in town for FREE. They are full or half day programs that run for a whole week. Don’t miss your chance to sign up in May!
9) Treat yo’self (because moms need a break too):
- Hill Country Sitters: A wonderful, locally-owned baby/pet-sitting service with affordable rates...for those times when you just need a day all to yourself.
- Convenience pampering: If you haven’t noticed, there’s a McDonald’s AND a DaVi Nails inside of Walmart. And Barker & Wortman and Nails Today & Spa at HEB. If you haven’t quite switched over to online ordering for your groceries yet, why not start your shopping trip off with a caffeinated beverage (hot or cold, your choice!) and a quick mani/pedi? The grocery shopping can wait. 😊
So mamas, what did I miss? What little tips and tricks and awesome places have you found to make mom-life easier in Boerne?
And did you enjoy this post? Want to see more like it? Subscribe here for the weekly newsletter!