7 Reasons to Take the Whole Family to Boerne Book & Arts Fest THIS SATURDAY!
Something really fun is happening this Saturday in Boerne and it includes Clifford the Big Red Dog, an Alice in Wonderland “Mad Hatter’s Day” celebration, stories around a campfire, arts and crafts, and…Kinky Friedman?? Yup, you read that right! Plus discussion panels with several local authors and so much more! Want the full scoop? Well, check out these SEVEN REASONS I think you’ll want to get out of the house and take the WHOLE FAMILY to Boerne Book & Arts Fest this weekend:
FOR THE KIDS
1) CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG!: Clifford will be joining in on the festival fun all day long…and he’ll have his own craft table too!
2) MAD HATTER’S DAY: Did you know October 6th is National Mad Hatter Day? Neither did I, but you know the folks at the book fest sure did! They’ll have all sorts of fun Alice in Wonderland-themed activities, including crafts, face-painting, and a green screen to snap pictures of you and your kiddos falling down the rabbit hole!
3) CRAFT TABLES: In addition to Clifford’s craft table, artists Joy Fisher Hein and Pamela Ferguson will have a clay ornament activity and rock painting for your budding Boerne artists and the “kids at heart” too.
4) STORYTELLING…AROUND A CAMPFIRE: You know what I learned this week? That there are people who belong to actual storytelling guilds and associations! And guess what? They’ll be at Boerne Book & Arts Fest, telling stories around a crackling campfire. **swoon!**
FOR THE GROWN-UPS
5) MEET LOCAL TEXAS AUTHORS: There will be SIX discussion panels with real Texas authors conversing about everything from forgotten places and people of the Hill Country, the Great American Read Program, the 2017 Astros baseball season, and Austin’s legendary Broken Spoke honky tonk…to Conservation in the Texas Hill Country, and of course, mystery and mayhem. Panels will take place on the second floor of The Dienger Trading Co. (a perfect excuse to try something from the bakery and an amazing latte or hot cocoa, if I do say so myself), followed by book signings on Main Plaza. Find the full discussion panel lineup and schedule HERE!
6) MEET KINKY FRIEDMAN & SEE A LIVE PERFORMANCE: Yes, THAT Kinky Friedman…is there really any other? The legendary author, columnist, musician, and politician will have a booth all of his own so you can stop for a chat with the man himself. He’ll also provide a reading and perform live at the gazebo from 3:00-3:45.
7) EXPLORE & SHOP OVER TWO DOZEN ADDITIONAL BOOTHS: You’ll find local organizations manning booths for just about every genre of writing: children’s literature, romance, Sci-Fi, and crime too. The non-profit group “Friends of the Boerne Public Library” will be selling handmade items made from repurposed books, with proceeds benefiting our very own Patrick Heath Public Library. And of course, you’ll find plenty of wonderful art by local artists also!
That’s a whole lot of fun for the whole family, all wrapped up in one awesome festival designed to celebrate literacy and the arts…and I, personally, think it’s pretty perfect that it takes place right at the start of fall! You’ll find Boerne Book & Arts Fest THIS SATURDAY, 10/6/18, at Main Plaza and The Dienger Trading Co., from 10am to 5:30pm. So grab the family, head on out, have all the fun, then maybe take a walk to any one of the wonderful restaurants on the Hill Country Mile for lunch or dinner!
Have questions? Or want to find out how YOU can be a part of next year’s festival? Contact Caren Creech with the Patrick Heath Public Library at firstname.lastname@example.org.
See you there!
Did you enjoy this post? Want to see more like it? Subscribe here for the weekly newsletter!
NOTE: This post was written in partnership with the Hill Country Mile.