A Valentine's Day Special: 12 Things I LOVE & Where to Find Them in Boerne
It’s Valentine’s Day, y’all. I know we’re all crazy busy with tending to our loved ones, finalizing and implementing all of those plans and big (or not-so-big) surprises. We’re making dinner. We’re picking up flowers or that card that we forgot. So, I wanted to keep things nice and light for today’s post. What that means is, I’m going to tell you 12 things I LOVE and my favorite places in Boerne to go to when I feel like indulging in them a bit. So, let’s get to it, shall we?
1) I LOVE to read. I don’t get to do it as much anymore though, and one of my goals for 2018 is to work on that. When I do get the itch to dive into a good book though, the Bookshop Under the Windmill or Hill Country Antiques are my go-to spots in town. There’s just something about the patina and aroma of an antique or well-loved book that gets me every time. I’ll take a book with a little bit of history to it over one hot off the press any day.
2) I LOVE a good taco. There are so many fantastic taco places in Boerne, but man, I am so glad that Boerne Taco House opened last fall. My favorites are the Rango (with no beans) and the Taco Pirata for breakfast, but they’ve also added street tacos to the lunch menu and I cannot wait to try those!
3) I LOVE to chat with strong women who’ve been there and done that already. Women who know far more than I do about just about everything. When I feel like I need a bit of encouragement or inspiration or just a sweet, smiling face to talk with for a few minutes, I go to one of three places in town: to see Debbie at The Victorian Rose, Lila at Hunting & Gathering (for the home), or Amy at From Scratch Farm (NOTE: These photos belong to the individuals pictured and can be found on their social media pages!).
4) I LOVE coffee. Honestly, my favorite place in town for fantastic coffee is my kitchen (nobody ever quite makes it the way we do at home, right?), but if I’m out and about and need a quick pick me up, I go to Barker & Wortman at HEB.
5) I LOVE fantastic BBQ. And I am convinced that there is no place in Boerne that comes close to Blackboard Bar B Q.
6) I LOVE period dramas and classic movies. Give me the likes of Downton Abbey, Mad Men, Sun Records, or anything Audrey Hepburn or Elizabeth Taylor on the television and I will never leave the couch. What does this mean for me, in relation to our little town? Peggy’s, that’s what. Having cocktails or dinner at Peggy’s on the Green feels like you’re literally sitting in another era. I go there, and I just want to stay forever.
7) I LOVE the water. I lived on what I truly think is the most beautiful beach in the world for three years. I get seriously “homesick” and sort of a weird, lonely feeling if I’m away from the water for too long. I’m not a great swimmer, but eh, that’s beside the point. Of course we’re far, far away from that gorgeous beach, but in Boerne, I head to the equally beautiful (albeit in a totally different way) Boerne City Lake.
8) I LOVE a really good breakfast sandwich. Seriously, when my daughter was three and her preschool class did one of those cute little sheets about “My mom’s favorites” for Mother’s Day, she answered “breakfast sandwiches” on the line that asked for my favorite food…and I don’t think she was wrong! In Boerne, I treat myself by hitting the drive-through at Snowflake Donuts (on highway 46) to pick up a bacon, egg, and cheese croissant WITH jalapenos…which are rock-your-world good.
9) I LOVE to help a good cause when I can. Whether it’s throwing a chili cook-off Friendsgiving as a fundraiser for Hill Country Family Services, dropping off a few bags of food for Hill Country Daily Bread Ministries' Oktoberfest food drive, donating clothes at First United Methodist Church’s drop-off location, or giving to the Boerne Education Foundation through my kid’s school, I’m in.
10) I LOVE girl’s night out. Yes, the kind with my fellow mama friends, but also the ones of the “mommy-and-me” variety. Our favorite so far has been the Movie in the Park which is put on by Boerne Parks and Recreation. Sometimes they’re at Main Plaza and sometimes they’re at Boerne City Lake, but both locations are fantastic, and the popcorn and Kelani Yogurt food truck are a much-appreciated added touch.
11) I LOVE live music. I’m not really a fan of huge indoor concerts (they kind of send my anxiety through the roof), but there’s just something about being outside in the open air, in a pop-up chair, with your cowboy boots and some amazing live country music that can’t be beat. Our favorite place for this in Boerne? The Roundup Outdoor Music Venue, all the way.
12) I also LOVE Jazz/the Crooners. Give me Frank, Dino, Billie, Louie, & Ella and I am a happy woman. My favorite spot in Boerne to sit back with a yummy treat and get lost in the best of the best is…The Dienger Trading Co.
So now that I’ve given all of my secrets away, tell me some of yours! I want to hear about some of your most favorite things and where you go to indulge in them a bit. And, oh yeah…Happy Valentine’s Day!
Did you enjoy this post? Want to see more like it? Subscribe here for the weekly newsletter!