9 Boerne Events Not to Miss This April (Plus 7 More You Can Catch Through Summer!)
I feel like every year in April, I’m overwhelmed by all the great events that Boerne offers to help us kick off the spring season. Last year, I wrote a full post that was purely dedicated to the April performing arts happenings in Boerne…isn’t that awesome? And with the calendar just as full this year, I could easily do that again! But, instead, I think I’ll shake things up a bit and give you my TOP 9 EVENTS, in general, that are not to be missed this month. So, in chronological order:
1) Boerne Community Theatre’s Teen Troupe performance of “My Fair Lady”, 4/4 - 4/7: What’s not to love about “My Fair Lady”, right? It’s one of my all-time favorites! And after seeing the Teen Troupe perform “Singin’ in the Rain” last year, I have no doubt that this performance will be just as memorable. GET YOUR TICKETS HERE.
2) Boerne BierFest at The AgriCultural, 4/6: The third annual Boerne BierFest has a new home at The AgriCultural this year and if you’re a Texas craft beer connoisseur, general beer enthusiast, or just enjoy a picturesque outdoor environment, then this event is for you. You’ll find 35+ Texas craft brewers on-site, live music, food, a stein-hoist competition and keg toss, artists from all across the great state of Texas, and more…and all proceeds support the arts in our community through the Hill Country Council for the Arts. Get your TICKETS HERE.
3) National Handmade Day Pop-Up Shops at From Scratch Farm, 4/6: Are you aware that there’s a “National Handmade Day”? Or that it was founded by Boerne’s very own Amy Bierstedt of From Scratch Farm? Yup! And to celebrate, Amy’s invited several other makers to her shop on Main Street for a pop up shopping event, special sales, giveaways, fun activities, and more! Get all the DETAILS HERE.
4) Diva Night on the Hill Country Mile, 4/11: If you’ve yet to make it to a Boerne Diva Night, what in the heck are you waiting for?? This is such a fun event—and a fantastic excuse to leave the boys at home and head out for some quality gal-pal time! Start your night off right with appetizers, drinks, or dinner at any one of the amazing eateries in town—I recommend ordering “The Texas Wildflower” from Peggy’s on the Green, as it’s named for one of my FAVORITE local publications—then hit the streets! Most of the retailers on (and off) Main Street will be open extended hours with special sales, drinks, snacks, music, and more. Get all the DETAILS HERE!
5) Boerne Handmade Market at the Cana Ballroom, 4/12 - 4/13: One of my favorite local events, Boerne Handmade Market comes around twice a year and just keeps getting better. Here you’ll find over 70 vendors selling quality, hand-made goods—but not just any goods—Boerne Handmade Market is a juried market, which means you know it will only be filled with the best of the best. Plus, there will be music, food trucks, cupcakes, coffee, kids activities and more. And don’t forget about the Friday night VIP event, which is your pass to shop the vendors early, participate in craft classes, sip some wine, and grab yourself a chair massage or skin treatment…all included in your ticket price! Get your TICKETS HERE.
6) Annual Easter Egg Hunt at Boerne City Lake, 4/13: An event that we never miss, the city’s annual (and FREE) Easter egg hunt at the lake includes pictures with the Easter bunny, an inflatable obstacle course, face painting, kids crafts, hot dogs,…and of course, an egg hunt with over 15,000 stuffed eggs. Festivities kick off at 11:30, but the hunt starts promptly at 12:15. Don’t be late—those eggs go fast! Get all the DETAILS HERE.
7) Boerne Parade of Artists, 4/13 - 4/14: Each year, the Boerne Professional Artists (BPA) hosts the Parade of Artists on and around Main Street in Boerne. This year, we’ll see nearly thirty Hill Country artists stretching from south of River Road, up to The Dodging Duck Brewhaus & Restaurant, and onward to galleries on the north end of Main Street and along Rosewood Avenue too! They’ll be showcasing and selling their work, doing artist meet-and-greets, and if we’re lucky, maybe even a bit of live painting en plein air! Find the full list of artists and locations HERE.
8) The 2019 premier of Movie in the Park at Boerne Main Plaza, 4/26: While this one technically belongs in the “catch it all season long” paragraph below, the season opener of Movies in the Park is sort of a big deal, so we’ll call it out here too. Bring your blankets, coolers, and pop-up chairs and grab a spot on the lawn for good, old-fashioned family fun: a free movie in the park! The April 26th opener will feature “Ralph Breaks the Internet” at dark, as well as food trucks and pre-movie activities starting at 7pm. Find the season movie line-up and all the DETAILS HERE.
9) 27th Annual Texas Corvette Association Car Show at Boerne Main Plaza, 4/27: The only official Fiesta event to take place outside of San Antonio, this car show boasts over 300 cars “of all makes, models, and vintages”, but you surely won’t run short in Corvettes, y’all. You can sign up to join in on the fun with your own car, or just stop by Main Plaza on Saturday to take it all in. This is a FREE, family-friendly event, so bring the whole crew! Find all the DETAILS HERE.
And if that’s not enough for ya’, check out this list of SEVEN MORE recurring events you can catch in April and all the way through summer and early fall:
1) The Farmers Market at the Cibolo at Herff Farm, every Saturday through December: Shop for fresh fruits, veggies, fish, eggs, breads and baked goods, jams, jellies, and other locally grown yummies and stop for a tour of the Herff Homestead while you’re there. Visit the inspiration garden too! You can read all about a day at the Farmers Market in THIS POST and keep an eye on the Facebook page for special events such as live music, workshops, and family-friendly festivals. The next Farmer’s Market is this Saturday, April 6th. Find all the DETAILS HERE.
2) Hot Rod Nights at Soda Pop’s, two Saturdays a month through October: If you’re into old (awesome) cars, live music, and reallllly good food, this is a Boerne must-do for you! Just be sure to bring your own pop-up chairs because it gets busy…and maybe read THIS POST full of tips for Hot Rod Night first-timers before you go. The next Hot Rod Night is this Saturday, April 6th. Find the full schedule and DETAILS HERE.
3) Boerne Market Days at Main Plaza, the second weekend of every month through December: Head to the heart of downtown Boerne to shop for handmade goods from dozens and dozens of local vendors, artists, and artisans. You’ll also find live music, delicious food, and even more shopping, sipping, and dining at the local shops, restaurants, and businesses all along Main Street—this stretch of Boerne wasn’t named a “Great Street” for nothing, y’all…go check it out! April’s Market Days are slated for the 13th and 14th. Find all the DETAILS HERE.
4) Second Saturday Art Beat at Boerne’s fine art galleries, every second Saturday of the month, year-round: Each second Saturday of the month, Boerne’s art galleries stay open a bit later than usual and offer food, drinks, music, fun activities, and artist receptions/meet-and-greets too…look for the bright purple banners to guide your way. The next Second Saturday Art Beat is April 13th and while activities vary from one gallery to the next, you can generally find all the DETAILS HERE.
5) Concert in the Cave at the Cave Without a Name, monthly through December: Have you been to the Cave Without a Name yet? The Queen’s throne room is a sight not to be missed…and the acoustics in the cave are unbelievable! Plus, how many people can say that they’ve been to a concert in a cave? This is a really cool experience that you can read about in THIS POST. The next Concert in the Cave is scheduled for Saturday, April 13th. Find the full schedule and all the DETAILS HERE.
6) Thirst for Nature series at the Cibolo Nature Center & Farm, the third Thursday of each month through November: Enjoy a tasty, cold beverage while learning about native wildlife. A different theme is featured each month, starting with “A Froggin’ We Will Go” on April 18th. Find all the DETAILS HERE.
7) Live! at the Library, the third Thursday of each month: This one is a whole lot of fun with FREE live music at the outdoor amphitheater at our beloved Patrick Heath Public Library. Funding for these concerts generally relies on grants and donations, so there may be a month every now and then where a concert just doesn’t happen. But for the most part, head to the library each third Thursday evening and you’ll certainly find something to tap your toes to. This April, it’s courtesy of the Lone Star Swing Orchestra on April 18th. Find all the DETAILS HERE.
See what I mean about April being a pretty amazing gateway to a whole season (or two or three) of fun in Boerne? It’s spring, you guys…so, Go. Explore. And HAVE FUN!
And did you enjoy this post? Want to see more like it? Subscribe here for the Sowing Seeds newsletter!