sowing seeds blog texas hill country san antonio boerne

Howdy!

Welcome and thanks for stopping by.  Sowing Seeds is a family & lifestyle blog, documenting one family's adventures through life and the Texas Hill Country.  Take a look around and ENJOY!

Big Bend Turns 75: And YOU'RE Invited to the San Antonio Birthday Bash!

Big Bend Turns 75: And YOU'RE Invited to the San Antonio Birthday Bash!

Who: The Big Bend Conservancy and YOU

What: Big Bend Birthday Bash

When: Saturday, June 1st, 6:00-8:00pm

Where: The Cherrity Bar, 302 Montana Street, San Antonio

Why: To eat, drink, have fun, and GIVE BACK!

Tickets/Registration: $25 (HERE)

Did you know that Big Bend National Park is turning 75 this year? Yup! And to celebrate, the park’s fundraising organization, Big Bend Conservancy/Friends of Big Bend National Park, is hosting birthday bashes all around the great state of Texas…and one of them is happening right here in San Antonio!

Mark your calendar for Saturday, June 1st, then load up the family and head to The Cherrity Bar (302 Montana Street, San Antonio), where from 6:00-8:00pm you can enjoy dinner from one of three vendors and a beverage or two from the fully stocked bar. With each food or drink purchase, you’ll receive a token—and with that token you can VOTE. What are you voting for? Well, The Cherrity Bar explains it best:

“Three featured charities compete for the bar (not restaurant) profits every month. Patrons receive tokens for food and drink purchases that are used to cast votes for their favorite charity at one of two voting stations. Information about each charity is available on the bar’s website and in the front foyer of the bar for those who are unfamiliar with the charities.

100% of the bar profits are then divided among four charities at the end of each month. The Tourette Association of America will receive 10 percent of profit every month because this organization is near and dear to the hearts of owners Pam & David Malley, who have a son with Tourette. The remaining 90% of the profit is divided in a 60/30/10% split between the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners, based on token votes. It is win-win, as no featured charity leaves empty handed.” (Source)

What a cool concept, right? And while no charity walks away without something at the end of the month, one lucky winner will take home that sixty-percent…and the Big Bend Conservancy is hoping it will be them. But they need your votes to do it!

And there’s plenty in it for you too: With your $25 ticket/registration, you’ll enjoy camping demonstrations from Whole Earth Provision Co. two drink tickets, and of course, birthday cake. The first fifty registrants will also receive free appetizers and a commemorative 75th birthday item.

And did I mention that the bar is stocked only with Texas wines and spirits? Well, “with the exception of [the] house brand, ‘A to Z’, [which] is owned by Coach Popovich, of our favorite San Antonio Spurs”, that is. (source).

What about the fact that there are also games…and a “chill zone” for kiddos with special needs who may need a break every now and then? Pretty amazing.

Seriously, you guys, what’s not to love? The Cherrity Bar is family and dog friendly so come one, come all to support this great cause. And if you can’t make it on June 1st, no problem—you have the whole month of June to stop into The Cherrity Bar and cast your vote for the Big Bend Conservancy to help SUPPORT THEIR MISSION. So go, explore, and HAVE FUN!

Did you enjoy this post?  Want to see more like it?  SUBSCRIBE HERE for the Sowing Seeds newsletter or DONATE HERE to support our efforts. And don’t be shy about sharing your favorite Big Bend memories in the comments too!

heart_signature_40x35 (posts).png

Notes:

The cover image for this post is courtesy of Boerne fine art photographer, Mark Holly. Shop his art HERE.

And a big thanks to Ms. Caren Creech of the Patrick Heath Public Library for bringing this wonderful event to our attention. Do you have something you’d like to see featured on the blog? Email Shawna.Holly@outlook.com with the details!

See the Alamo City in Legos at Legoland Discovery Center San Antonio!

See the Alamo City in Legos at Legoland Discovery Center San Antonio!

SEVEN Reasons to Add the Science Mill to YOUR Family's Summer Bucket List

SEVEN Reasons to Add the Science Mill to YOUR Family's Summer Bucket List

0